Thursday, August 4, 2011

Corporal Punishment

Marianne is a piece of work. If she doesn't get what she wants she resorts to screaming, hitting, pinching, or doing something she shouldn't. She has literally left scars on all three of her older siblings. One day I will take pictures of those. I couldn't help but take a picture of her the other day when she got in trouble for scratching Madeline. She scratched so hard Madeline's neck was bleeding. Her dad made her put her nose on the wall until she was ready to apologize.
No one in our family is a fan of this punishment, however it seems to be a common sight around our house.

Another time yesterday, she was screaming and trying to hit me and pinch me (for some reason I cannot recall now)so I finally took her to her room and said she could come out when she was done screaming, hitting, and pinching. She came out a couple times and I had to take her right back in her room. By the 4th time she had stopped crying and she came to me and we talked. Then a little while later I was helping her go to the bathroom and in all sincerity she said, "Mommy I am sorry that I screamed, mommy I am sorry that I hit you, and mommy I am sorry that I pinched you". That moment melted my heart and gave me a glimmer of hope that she will in fact one day grow out of this behavior. I do love this girl!
Oh, one last thing...today I got upset with Marianne again because she was screaming so I put her outside and locked the door. (It was not one of my finer moments, so please do not call CPS.) I finally calmed down and opened the door to try and talk to her. She was still upset and flung herself back and hit her head on the ground. OUCH! So I scooped her up and put her on my bed until she cooled down. When she finally cooled down I held her and talked with her, made sure she knew I still loved her and we were both happy. We went in to fix some lunch. When lunch was ready and we were all at the table I asked Marianne to say the prayer. She gave the most thoughtful prayer I think a two year old is capable of. In it she asked that "Maddy be happy and find her things, blessed the food and she asked that she could not scream so she wouldn't have to go outside." At least she knows Heavenly Father will help her, even when her mom fails~

2 comments:

Marian said...

I am familiar with the "nose on the wall". I am surprised that Scott has not added "the arms held straight out" from that position.
That was a real favorite with Scott and his siblings. I came home from Relief Society one night to find Heath and Briana (at a very young age) asleep in a pile on the floor by our closet. Their dad had put them in the "position" and fallen asleep before he let them go. Then they fell asleep. I should have taken a picture. It is great to see your wonderful children and my wonderful grandchildren!! Grandma Hendricks

Lisa said...

She reminds me of Avram. He did many of the same things and reacted the same way. Luckily he was the first child so it was easier to have patience. Locking he out of the house is nothing. Avram was completely out of control screaming and kicking in the car, about the same age, so I took him out of the car and drove away. I only drove about 1/2 a block but he was traumatized. the good news is at about 5 yrs old he started to mellow and now he is, overall, such a good boy. Good luck.

Florida Vacation!