Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day of Independence!


I have to write this down so I don't forget it. Scotty was assigned to give a talk the Sunday before last. Scott talked with him that night and asked if he could help him write it. Scotty said, "no Dad I already wrote it." And sure enough he had. Not only did he write it but he drew pictures to go with it. When I looked at his kindergarten handwriting all over the paper, I was a little skeptical if he would be able to read it and give it, but he read it to us that night. Well, fast forward to Saturday, and we asked him to give his talk to us so he could practice. In our minds we were thinking we would be writing a last minute talk for him because he would not be able to read what he wrote on his paper. He surprised us once again and recited his talk several times. He was having a little trouble going from reading his talk to holding up pictures, so I offered to help him hold them up. Once again he did not need help. So on Sunday my heart was filled and overflowing with love and joy watching him give his first talk that he wrote completely on his own. The only thing I regret is that I did not scan it on Saturday night. When we got home from church I asked him for his talk and he had thrown it away. He had given his talk and did not see any further need for it. That is my boy!!! It is moments like this that remind me how special my kids are and why I love being a mother. This rough and tough dirty boy who pees on everything, throws major temper tantrums, hits and throws things sometimes....is the best snuggler, super sweet and kind, smart, independent, loves to play and create things, has a wild imagination and I love him!

4 comments:

Lacy said...

sounds like a bishop in the making :)

Unknown said...

You know, he wasn't even nervous about it that morning. He told me very excitedly that he was giving a talk. I'm SO proud of my bud!

Lisa said...

Those are the moments that make it worth all the sacrifice

Grandma Utah said...

Go, Scotty. That is a great story, you have such cute kids, I love looking at your blog. Aunt Ruthie (just in case you have no idea who is Grandma Utah)

Florida Vacation!