Sunday, January 11, 2009

Books, Books, Books

I know that I still have not posted our Christmas yet, it is coming. But I have to write a short post about our new library! Finally there is a library right by our house. We could easily ride our bikes and even walk if we felt super adventurous. Well it opened today!!! Yeah! Scott ended up getting called out at 1am last night to work on a kidnapping and was gone all day, so the kids and I packed up and went to the grand opening. We missed seeing the ribbon cutting, but heard the cheers as we walked up to the massive crowd. I could not believe how many people were there. We got to see the Mayor as we walked in (that is not saying much since our Mayor is kind of a sleaze, but it provided me the opportunity to teach Haley a little about the government).

The reason we went on the opening day at the opening hour is because Haley's teacher, Mrs. Hinrichs (and yes her name is Jennifer too) gave her class a special invite to meet her at the library. She is a great teacher and really instills the love of learning in her students. So we met Mrs. Hinrichs there along with another 100 or so of our neighbors and friends.

It was so fun to see my kids get so excited about books. Haley loves to read and Scotty is just starting to read. He is doing really well. In fact, he came home the other day and told me that Mrs. Grants (his teacher) told him that she was going to kick him out of kindergarten. I said, why (a little concerned) ? Scotty said, "Because I read her a book and she said I was too smart and needed to go to first grade". I am so proud of him. Just think last summer I was so worried about sending him to kindergarten and now he is reading.

Well, back to the library. It was so crowded that I ended up standing in a long line to check out the books and videos that the kids chose. But they were so good and patient. Marianne slept in the stroller the entire time, Haley read books to Madeline and Scotty read to himself. It is days like this that I am so grateful to be a mother.

THEN... we walked out of the library to go home and Madeline threw a HUGE tantrum. She did not want to leave the library and she made sure everyone was aware of this. She screamed all the way to the car and refused to get in her seat. So I did what any good mom would do and threatened to leave her. It worked! (hmmm, maybe that is why my kids freak out on me when we go to leave and always worry that I am going to leave without them)

Over all we had a great day, and dug into some great books!

1 comment:

Marian said...

I am so glad you have a library close. I worked at the public library when I was in college and then worked at the school library. Books are so wonderful. I remember having Haley at the Valleyview Jr. High Library when she was visiting us in Amarillo. She helped me and Mrs. Uselton take all the new books off the rack so we could process them. Keep reading. Scotty, I will try and find you a good book for you to read now that you can. I love you all! Grandma Hendricks

Florida Vacation!