This little boy broke out in a nasty rash last Tuesday evening. I let it go on Wednesday thinking he was allergic to something outside. But by Wednesday evening when it was getting worse I decided I had better get him to the doctor. So I took him in on Thursday morning after I got the older kids off to school. The minute the doctor saw him he said he had hand foot and mouth disease. He said that there has been an out break here in Las Vegas. But, he was very intrigued with James because he had an abnormally large rash all over his legs. He brought another doctor in to look at it and took pictures of his legs. The other doctor asked if he had eczema and I said yes. I guess kids with eczema get more severe sores. Most kids just get cancer sores all over inside their mouth and a few blister looking sores on their hands and feet. Not James he likes to be dramatic. Luckily he only had a few sores inside his mouth so he really was not in too much pain. Here are a few pictures of the battle wounds.
This is a picture from yesterday. The sores look worse but they are just scabbed over now and are starting to heal.
Did I mention this is very contagious? And there is nothing you can do for it but let it run its course. It starts with a fever for 2 or 3 days (which James had but I chalked it up to breaking molars), and then sores break out. Well, Friday evening Madeline came in telling me she did not feel well and sure enough she had a fever. On Saturday morning Marianne came in and said she did not feel good and also had a fever. They both spent the day on the couch in and out of consciousness. Today they both feel a little better. Madeline has a few sores in her mouth and a couple on her legs. Hopefully that will be the extent of it.
I did have to miss church today to keep them home and take care of them. I was a tiny bit sad because our bishopric is getting released. That means Scott is getting released but then was getting called back in with our new Bishop as his 1st Counselor. I would love to hear him bear his testimony. But what do you do? This is what happens when you have 5 kids!




2 comments:
Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear about the outbreak. Hope James and Madeline weren't too uncomfortable. Was there any medicine they could take to help with the discomfort of the sores? Did the doctor say where/why the outbreak had started? Hopefully, next week will be a better week for everyone! Love you all!! Grandma Hendricks
Post a Comment