Monday, March 15, 2010

HELLO March!

CAUTION: this is not for the weak, pictures may be a little graphic

Well.... Let's just say that March came in with a BANG! This is how the first day of the month started. I had a doctors appointment. They drew my blood to run some tests, and they cut off a huge mole I have had growing on my back for the last seven years. We went to Scotty's soccer practice after school and then to In-n-Out for some dinner and Family home evening! Marianne was a nightmare there. We come home the kids take showers, Scotty and Maddy together and Haley and Marianne together. Haley and Marianne manage to get out, we get them ready for bed, however Scotty and Maddy on the other hand are not quite so easy! Scott has told them several times to get out. The last and final time he is marching down the hall ready to let them know he is beyond serious and he hears a CRASH!! One of the glass sliding doors on the tub came crashing down. Apparently Scotty had them doing tricks, which I am sure loosened the door from its tracks, Maddy lost her balance put her whole weight on the door and down it came. Thank goodness it shattered and her hand was the only thing cut. She was covered in glass, and Scott new right away she was going to need stitches. But I had him call another agent who lives down the street to have his wife who is a nurse come and look at it for us. She sent us to the hospital and they stayed with our kids and put them to bed for us.
(the picture is a little blurry because I took it with my cell phone while we were waiting at the hospital)

To make a long story short, Scott was very angry at little Scotty for not listening and getting out sooner, he was mad at himself for not fixing a piece on the door that needed to be repaired, we made it to the emergency room at Centennial Hospital at 8:50 pm and Maddy and I did not leave until 4:30 am. Yes that was 8 HOURS!!!! Madeline was a trooper though. She slept the first hour we were there then she was awake and happy until they had to sedate her to put the stitches in. Scott left about midnight when we finally realized we were here for the long haul. Maddy and I then played eye spy for the next 4 and a half hours. We did not cry or complain at all unless someone wanted to take the wash cloth off her hand. She did not want to look at it. I don't blame her I did not want to look at it. The doctor said there was no way he would be able to keep her calm enough to numb her hand in three place and put in the amount of stitches that were needed. So they gave her a shot that sedated her. She was awake, but not responsive at all. It was freaky to see your 4 year old on drugs. That was the scariest part for me. But is made it so she did not feel a thing and it was not traumatic at all, which was a huge blessing. As they did x-rays of her hand they found that she had cut a tendon in her index finger, she we would have to see a hand surgeon to make sure nothing more needed to be done. We visited the hand surgeon 2 days later and she said it should heal up just fine. She gave Maddy this wrist cast to keep on to make her feel safe and to protect her hand some. She wore it from Thursday to Sunday. I finally convinced her on Sunday to take it off so her stitches could dry up. It was fun to watch her go from not using it at all to saying, "mom look I can hold a crayon with this hand." By the end of the day she was using it quite a bit. It is amazing how resilient children are. Then 10 days later Maddy got her stitches out and she is doing fabulous

This picture was taken at the doctors office as we were waiting to be seen. Maddy was so giggly and happy! She was not scared at all. I had told her in the morning that we were going back to the doctor to get her stitches out. She asked" Are they going to cut me with a real knife?" I assured her that they were not going to cut her, but that they were going to use scissors to cut the stitches. That eased her mind and she had no worries after that. She sat as still as could be while Dr. Fraser cut her 17 stitches off. Dr. Fraser said she was the best patient she has ever had and I think she meant it. I am always amazed at how strong Madeline is. She does not get freaked out very easy. In fact when Haley found out that Maddy did not cry at the hospital she told Maddy that if it were her she would have been screaming. Oh boy that was the truth!

Here is a picture of her hand tonight. It is already looking so much better. Dr. Fraser told me to put vitamin E oil, coconut oil, or what ever on the scars and to rub them daily. She said that the rubbing is what will loosen the scar tissue and make the scars less noticeable. I guess Madeline's hopes of being a hand model are out the window. Thank goodness her face is so dang cute, she still has opportunities!

1 comment:

Marian said...

First of all, Jennifer, did you do okay with the removal of your mole and other tests? Next, Madeline, I am very proud of you for being so brave. I thinks your fingernails looked very pretty in the picture of your hand with the stitches. Remember to keep rubbing the oil on it. If you will tell me what your favorite color of nail polish is I will send it to you next time I mail a package. Love, Grandma Hendricks

Florida Vacation!